Sunday, February 14, 2010

Sunday School Lessons

I never give work to people who go door to door looking to make a little cash.  I also never buy from anyone I don't know selling door to door.  I've always been leary about strangers at my door but since Elizabeth Smart was abducted by a man who did odd jobs for her family I've just decided the risk is not worth it.  Yesterday, a man came to my door asking to shovel my walks to make gas money to take his wife to a Dr. appointment.  He wasn't technically a stranger.  He has shoveled snow for my mom in the past, but I was about to turn him away when he whispered under his breath "Please" and I could feel the desperation in his request.  I agreed and before he left I had arranged to have him on call to shovel snow for the rest of the season.  I try to listen to the spirit when it whispers to me and tells me to help others.  If I see a stranger with a "Help, Please" sign on the corner I give the change I have on hand.  If I know I will be coming back soon I like to buy something from a fast food place and give it to them.  Then I can be sure they are getting fed.  Last night I was reading in the Book of Mormon in Mosiah chapter 4 verse 16  "And also, ye yourselves will succor those that stand in need of your succor; ye will administer of your substance unto him that standeth in need; and ye will not suffer that the beggar putteth up his petition to you in vain, and turn him out to perish."
It goes on to say that those who won't give to the needy because they say that they brought it on themselves have "... no interest in the kingdom of God."  I know some of my friends won't give money to them because they think they will just go buy drugs or alcohol.  I believe that is their choice and they will be held accountable for it but I have been commanded to give to the needy and I will be held accountable for my choice to give or withhold my means.  Just my humble opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment