Sunday, February 7, 2010

Sunday School Lessons

When I was growing up, Sunday was always a special day.  Dinner was always pot roast with potatoes and carrots and either a green salad, red jello with bananas and whipped cream, or cottage cheese with fruit cocktail in it.  When mom invites us over to dinner on Sunday and asks what we want we insist that this is the only thing she can cook on Sunday.  All of us had special Sunday clothes that could only be worn on Sunday or to a wedding or funeral.  Fancy dresses, Sunday shoes, and even socks were reserved for the best day of the week. Sunday best is becoming a phrase that too many people don't understand but it was ingrained into my soul so much that I can't wear casual dress to church.  I especially can't stand to have bare legs-I feel naked.  I have to wear pantyhose, tights, or stockings.  I know so many of the younger generation think it's old fashioned or uncomfortable but I think it shows respect for a sacred day of worship.  Looking your best for the Lord is something that was expected of me growing up and I feel less respectful and worshipful when I don't look my best.  Just my humble opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment