Monday, May 13, 2013

Love Letter



The first assignment in my Pathways English class.  Written May 6th, 2013

My dearest Book of Mormon,
I have never fallen in love at first sight and I don’t know if I even believe in it.  That was certainly the case with you.  When I first laid eyes on you I wasn’t impressed.  You were hard to understand and not very attractive.  Your plain brown cover didn’t do anything for you and I’m drawn more to the crisp, clear colors of cobalt blue and shocking pink.  Your language is old fashioned and you don’t say what you mean all the time. Sometimes I thought you should have come with a dictionary and then I discovered you had one.   If we hadn’t been thrown together every Sunday I don’t know if I would have given you a second look but you slowly started to grow on me.

The first time I realized you were more than you appeared was in early morning Seminary.  Spending time with you every day, not just once a week, I started to believe that you had a message just for me.  Sometimes when I read you, I felt like you were speaking directly into my soul and we were the only two in the room. With my eyes locked on your pages it felt like the sun was shining on us and wrapping is in a warm embrace.   By the end of the year I knew that I never wanted to be without you.

Over the years I have come to appreciate your unique and peculiar style. I’ve grown fond of “therefore”, “nevertheless”, and my favorite “and it came to pass”.   When I am discouraged and down, you raise me up.  When I feel I can’t go on you tell me I can.  And when I start to think I would be better off without you, you say something so profound that I realize my life wouldn’t be worth anything without you. 

And so I need to tell you how much I love you.  You will always be the most important book in my life.  If my house was burning down and I only had time to grab one thing, I would rescue you.  It’s like you have become a part of me and I would cease to breath if I didn’t have you.  You have made me a better person, a better woman, and a better disciple of God.  I can’t wait to spend eternity with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment